Thursday, August 13, 2015

It Was A Terrible Assignment Anyway

     It's fairly typical of me to scroll through my Google Drive when I'm bored. Just now, I came across a file in my Schoolwork folder titled "DAMN YOU, HAWTHORNE!" 
     Before I get to the point here, I feel like I need to say that I was a TERRIBLE student last year. My worst problem was the same as many other students: Procrastination. In the case of one particular essay in my American Lit class, I procrastinated until three months beyond the deadline. That's right. THREE. FREAKING. MONTHS. I finished the essay the night before the final late work deadline. 
     This essay happened to be about The Scarlet Letter. If you know Hawthornian writing, you understand why I REALLY didn't want to write this essay. To make matters worse, I needed four sources which discussed my theme of choice. Obviously, I was not having a good evening.
     Most teachers, in my experience, will tell you that organizing your thoughts before you write your essay is essential. Up until that night, with a week to go before the end of the school year, I did not take this particular piece of advice. But desperate times call for desperate measures. And my situation was the very definition of desperate. So I made a list of ideas. The following are my last four thoughts on the matter.
  • stories are dense
  • they make everyone want to cry
  • screw Hawthorne
  • screw the Puritans   
     So It was fitting that I named my document "DAMN YOU, HAWTHORNE!" It basically summed up 90% of the thoughts running through my head as I wrote my frantic essay.

     And I still got a B+.

No comments:

Post a Comment